Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Go Fish

Yesterday, my sister-in-law and just-turned 5 y.o. nephew came to the house. My SIL, Mandy, needed inspiration to cook dinners for her family. The plan was to hunt through cookbooks for meals for the week and then go shopping.

Mandy and Caleb met me on the porch as I was watering my flowers. Caleb had something in his hands and wanted me to "Guess what, Mari.. Aunt Marisa!"

"You're 5," I guessed.

"No, I have this new gameitsgofishandwecanplayit!" He talks faster than the words can tumble out of his mouth.

So, before we started menu planning, Mandy dealt us all in for a round of Go Fish.

Since it was my first time playing (at least with him), Caleb declared that I got to go first.

I immediately laid down two pairs of fish and started asking -- "Caleb, do you have a stingray?"

Caleb reluctantly handed me a stingray.

"Mandy, do you have a starfish?" And soon I had a starfish pair.

On and on it went, until I had no cards and neither Caleb nor Mandy got a chance to "go fish".

Caleb started the next round and I was the last to "go fish". Though I tried not to, I won that round too.

"Wow, Aunt Marisa!"

"It must be my lucky day," I said.

"No, it's my lucky day!" Caleb announced.

"Why?"

"Because I get to spend it with you!"

And that is how a just-turned 5 y.o. makes a grown woman's heart melt.

1 comment: