Friday, June 4, 2010

CEILING FAN IN MY SPOON

I have known Andy for almost 3 years. We've been married for just over 3 months.

In that time, I've done a LOT of baking for him. The last great thing I made was his birthday cake -- a lemon pound cake with lemon curd filling and cream cheese icing. It was a hit with everyone at the dinner party.

Today, I made 60 cupcakes for my good friend's bridal shower. 1/2 are purple velvet (instead of red) and 1/2 are lemon. Tonight, I made lemon curd for the icing and brought Andy a large spoonful for him to taste.

He tasted it. I waited for his response (read: praise). And waited. And finally I said, "well?"

"You know I don't like lemon," he declared.

Well of course I didn't know. He claimed to have told me this countless times before. I pointed out that I would not have made him a lemon birthday cake had I known.

Andy responded with the dreaded "I love you, but..."

The BUT -- the one that negates whatever precedes it.

The full sentence being "Honey, I love you but you made that cake for yourself."

????????????????

I still don't know quite what to make of it, except what I told him -- that that wasn't true.

And I'm hurt by what he said, which was clear I'm sure by the look on my face. I mean, his birthday was 4 months ago and the thought, that he thinks I made his birthday cake for me is just upsurd!

It's like he doesn't know me. And apparently I don't know him. Or at least that he doesn't like lemons.

Which is hard to believe considering how much of that cake he ate.

Ahh, yes, I exaggerate. He does know me. He knows just how to piss me off disproportionately to how trivial an issue this is.

After all, this means more lemon curd for me!

1 comment:

  1. Lemon pound cake is my favorite. You can share with me any time! It really is those little things that can drive you crazy--but only if you let them. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete